Monday, August 08, 2005

Mourning

Peter Jennings died today.

I'm actually really saddened by this because I really enjoyed watching him and he was almost part of life at my house growing up.

My family and I all share an extremely low opinion of "local news" and what passes for news in local broadcasts. My parents also don't have cable (my mom has philosophical objections) and so CNN and MSNBC are out. So, much of the days news was obtained through various PBS shows and through "World News Tonight" which was Peter Jennings show. Every day when my mom or dad got home, whatever else was on would be shut off and World News Tonight came on. When I was younger, I would go somewhere else to entertain myself because I found the news boring, but the last few years I lived there, I started tuning in as soon as the broadcast started. Peter Jennings was part of the routine at my parents house and I enjoyed seeing him every night.

I knew he had been diagnosed with lung cancer and that thats pretty serious. I suppose I should have expected it. But, I didn't. I thought he was closer to 55 than the 67 he was. And from what I heard, he was planning on continuing to broadcast and report the news. It just seems very sudden and needless because he was such a great reporter and genuinely seemed to care about the news and those sorts of things.

I'm saddened by this.

Jake Bullet

No comments: