Saturday, January 28, 2006

Parental Units

So, my parents (the Mom and the Dad), plus chip and dip (the sisters) as well as my grandpa just left my house. Its the first time any of them besides the Dad have seen it. And they seemed to like it. We spent most of the night engaging in idle chatter, having dinner at the little Italian place down the street and then finished up with coffee at a shop nearby. My grandfather of course, managed to spend much of the night complaining about things in a way which on the surface seems much nicer and less so that it is. But that's fine, he wanted to come, everyone else had a wonderful time and so too bad.

One of the interesting moments was a discussion of the 15 or so people on both sides of the isle who might make a run at the big chair in 2008. But more interesting was when my mother said "Jake, you're on the internet a lot. What's this blogging thing I keep hearing about?" Well, I explained it as best I could pushing the more social commentary/personal diary angle than anything else (like, oh, I don't know, BDSM perverts writing about there sex lives). And after a few minutes my Mom and Dad look at each other and nearly simultaneously ask "why in the world would anyone do that/read that? And who writes that stuff?". At which point I said "Well, I know that Dawson and I both keep them." And tried to push the social commentary, thoughts on local events, etc. angle some more. They never asked me why or what I write and I'm quite sure that they have no idea that this blog exists, but still it was an interesting little diversion.

Anywho, I'm going to go read a little and then head to bed.

Jake Bullet

No comments: