Monday, April 24, 2006

ADHD

Well, it appears that I haven't really posted anything in over a month. Which is unussual for me.

But its been pointed out several times recently that I haven't been blogging at all of late. And, to be honest, I miss the opportunity to write, to vent, to mentally explore ideas, to comment on my own life and my friends lives. Lately, I've missed it more than before and so here we are once again.

Why did I stop blogging for 6 weeks? Well, several reasons. Sometimes I just don't feel like writing anything, sometimes I forget, sometimes I don't have time. And all of those reasons have occured at one point or another recently, but its really not the main reason. I got out of the habit because I didn't want to write about something specific and habits/rituals are good things for me. They help me keep things in track.

What didn't I want to write about? Well, I dropped out of school in early Feburary.

I dropped out of school. I dropped out because I had reached a point at which it was less productive for me to be in school than to drop out. My grades had been steadily falling, my attendence was horrid, and I couldn't keep track of the day to day details in my life. And its because I had unmanaged, unmedicated ADHD.

I've had ADHD since I was 8, but starting Sophmore year I stoped taking meds and I didn't have any coping strategies.

So I've been spending the time since then seeing doctors, reading books, learning about ADD, and trying to get ready for when I go back. I now have a PDA, a purse (god do I love having a purse!), alot of other small things to help me cope. And I've made alot of good measurable forward steps and I still have more to do.

But yeah, Batina and Sally Jane and I are still having huge amounts of fun, and they are the two best allies I could ever ask for. I'm planning on going to Shibaricon in a few weeks. I've done alot of really good stuff lately. I've hit some road bumps, but I'm working with those. Working on becoming mentally healthier and learning how to drive the race car that is my mind.

So yes, I will try to bring blogging back into my life. And try to keep it interesting for all who still read. But yeah, I'm back and I'm getting better than I have ever been.

Jake Bullet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i have unmedicated ADHD.... it's hard... but you can deal with it... Mine is unmedicated because i cant afford the medication... i try and manage mine by well its hard t manage... i have a very difficult time with school and concentrating on anything... relationships are hard.. life is ahrd... but you can fuind coping stratagies... for example when i study i have to shut myself away somewhere... usaully at a cofee shop or something and i hole up for hours... i get so distracted that a paper that should take 2-3 hours takes me well over 8 hours... but i get it done. An education is your best assett.. dont give that up. Not for anything or anyone.